Olympic track wunderkind Laura Trott proved her tarmac chops by taking top step on the podium at the British Cycling National Road Race Championships at the weekend.
She swiped the crown from defending champion Lizzie Armitstead in a sprint finish at the race, just down the road from us in Abergavenny.
And with Laura’s win in mind, we’ve come up with 5 top bits of kit for female road riders.
1. First up, you’re not going to win any road cycling races without a bike. Merida’s women-specific, carbon-framed Scultura CF Juliet comes with a full Shimano 105 groupset and weighs in at a svelte 8.3k. The £1500 RRP won’t break the bank and Merida’s signature Flex Stay frame technology absorbs surface bumps and reduces vibration.
2. Mavic’s Cloud shorts feature a high-performance insert with two densities and two different thicknesses of foam and their Ergo Waist reduces pressure on your tum and maximizes comfort. £60 RRP.
3. Mavic’s matching Cloud jersey is a lightweight summer riding top with wicking tech fabric, a full front zip and air mesh inserts to aid cooling.
4. And we’ll stay with Mavic for footwear – their Giova shoes feature composite glass fibre and nylon outsoles for ultimate pedal power. £55 RRP.
5. Finally, you’ll need something to protect your hands and help you maintain that all-important grip on the bars. Altura’s Synergy Progel mitt is a performance glove with ergonomically-positioned padding. RRP is £19.99, but we have them for £16.99.