It’s official! The best cafe in Wales is just down the road from us in neighbouring Talgarth!
The Bakers’ Table, at Talgarth’s restored 18th-century watermill, has just scooped Gold at the National Tourism Awards in the ‘Best Place to Eat – Cafe’ category.
It was also shortlisted in the 2015 Best Small Shops competition – the only business in Wales to make it to the finals at Westminster!
A visit to Talgarth Mill makes a great 14-mile, out-and-back family cycle ride from our HQ on Forest Road in Hay, or you can make a pit-stop at the cafe on a longer leisure route. We have bikes for hire for all ages from £12.50 for half day (child’s bike).
Alternatively, take a pedal-powered trip back in time and sign up for our Miller Experience ride. On arrival at the Bakers’ Table, you’ll experience their Miller Morning,where you’ll learn about mill maintenance and mill some grain.
After tea/coffee and cake, pedal back to base – with a souvenir bag of flour to home-bake your own bread!
Here’s the lowdown on the Miller Experience:
- Price: £75 per person / family of four (two adults / two children) £200. Adult group bookings (4+) £65pp.
- Available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays only.
- Price includes bike hire, mill tour, tea and cake, and a bag of flour to take home.
- There is no minimum age limit.
- Advance booking is required.
For £15 extra, save your legs and go electric on one of our Raleigh Motus e-bikes!